New Hampshire’s Lakes Region offers a wealth of nature paths and hiking trails for you to explore. The links below include local conservation lands that may not be listed elsewhere. See also Nature Walks in the NH Lakes Region by Julia Older and The AMC White Mountain Guide for additional trails.
Center Harbor and the immediate vicinity
- Meredith Community Forest,
Hamlin-Eames-Smyth Recreation and Conservation Area,
Page Pond and Forest, Stonedam Island Conservation Area, and
Waukewan Highlands Community Park
- Alice Bemis Thompson Bird Sanctuary and Wildlife Refuge
- Bearcamp River Trail
- Red Hill Conservation Area
- Leonard Boyd Chapman Wildbird Sanctuary
To the West
- Rattlesnake Trail in Holderness, one of the most popular in the Lakes Region.
- In Bristol, the Goose Pond Trails has views of Newfound Lake; the Slim Baker Trails has several approaches to Little Roundtop).
- The Page Hill / Glory Hill Conservation Area in Hill has trails for mountain bikes.
To the North
- Tamworth. Big Pines Natural Area & Great Hill Fire Tower.
- Chocorua Conservation Lands
- The Madison Hiking Trails Map lists 8 paths (Madison Boulder, Pine Barrens etc).
- The Freedom Town Forest on Ossipee Lake Road, is good for birders
- The Green Hills Preserve in Conway has excellent views of the Presidential Range.
To the East and South
- Wolfeboro Hiking Trails include Elie’s Woodland Walk Knight’s Pond and
Sewall Woods Trail Map
- Copple Crown Mountain (Brookfield) has good views of area lakes and ranges.
- In Gilford hike Mount Major and Mount Belknap or other trails in the Belknap Range, or enjoy nature walks at Locke’s Hill (good views of Winnipesaukee) and the Ramblin’ Vewe Farm.
Lakes Region Water Trails (spots to launch your canoe or kayak)
- Meredith-Lake Wicwas
- Grafton-Grafton Pond
- Lake Winnipesaukee
- Meredith-Lake Wicwas
- Moultonborough-Garland Pond
- New Hampton-Lake Pemigewasset
- Squam Lake
- Tuftonboro-Copp’s Pond
More maps provided by:
- Belknap Range Conservation Coalition
- New Hampshire Fish and Game
- Lakes Region Conservation Trust
- Nature Conservancy
- Squam Lakes Association
- Tamworth Conservation Commission
*AllTrails is a free website/mobile app used by hikers to find trails, trail maps, trail conditions and more. Anyone can sign up and use for whatever hiking needs you may have!